Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sneaking Suspicion

I've got a sneaking suspicion, gone straight to my head,
Straight to my head
Got a sneaking suspicion, gone straight to my head,
Straight to my head
Got to beat it back, or it'll ruin me half for dead

Made a deal with the darkness when the sun went down,
When the sun went down
Made a deal with the darkness when the sun went down,
When the sun went down
Said "Take my soul but leave me this little town"

Saw the good times going bad,
Everybody's luck soon or later ends
Saw the good times going bad,
Everybody's luck soon or later ends
If we can't be lovers I don't wanna be your friend

Now I'm wond'rin' how it goes with my precious soul,
With my precious soul
Now I'm wond'rin' how it goes with my precious soul,
With my precious soul
A hundred friends fell in my empty hole

Don't you come too close, oh please, I ain't no good,
No I ain't no good
Don't you come too close, oh please, I ain't no good,
No I ain't no good
There's no point talkin', though you wish we could

But a sneaking suspicion, no won't leave my head,
Won't leave my head
But a sneaking suspicion, no won't leave my head,
Won't leave my head
There's another life to lose when love goes dead

It appears to be a long time, such a lonesome time,
Before the morn
It appears to be a long time, such a lonesome time,
Before the morn
I'm sleeping till the Son of Man gets born.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flames to dust, lovers to friends, why do all good things come to an end?

Anthony Zuba said...

I did not know Nelly Furtado wrote like that. I can see the connection between my song and hers.

Now that I look at her song lyrics, there's a connection between a couple more pieces ("December Dreams," "New Moon") and the Nelly Furtado song you quoted. You're a deep reader, aren't you?

And perhaps I am a "dog barking at the new moon"....

Anonymous said...

Old men can certainly appreciate Nelly. I actually thought that you should send some of your poem songs to her for material.

Anthony Zuba said...

You're pretty hip for an "old man." Beyond "I'm Like a Bird," I don't know Furtado's work.

Do you know the band Canned Heat? Their psychedelic blues are deep in me. I wrote this song to the tune of "On the Road Again."

Anonymous said...

I do not know Canned Heat. I wouldn't mind you performing a show sometime.

Let it snow, let it snow, got to go.

Anthony Zuba said...

I would love to oblige you with my rendition, but that means being in my audience in person, and wouldn't that compromise your anonymity?

Anonymous said...

Perhaps not if it were in a public place with friends around.

Anthony Zuba said...

Perhaps not, but it would greatly facilitate the process of elimination.

You may or may not know that I like karaoke. You could drop in on me when I go to Limelight in Boston's Theatre District. The coincidence of seeing a familiar face would leave me guessing.

Anonymous said...

Let's see what the future has in store. If it's promoted well, I might try to attend and blend in with the crowd.

Anthony Zuba said...

Well, there's the rub. If one day I organize a karaoke night, there's no sure way to tell you except through this blog. And then, you wouldn't know if there was a crowd to blend into safely.

These comments do take strange turns.

Anonymous said...

I actually was wondering what "a hundred friends fell into my empty hole" implied. Was it in reference to a karaoke singing hole or something else?

Anthony Zuba said...

The empty hole is the soul. It's a blunt metaphor. The empty hole -- it's like a vacuum, so it's actually like a black hole.

If you follow the story from the last stanza, the singer has rejected and spiritually annihilated the women who wanted to be his friends but not lovers. He's let them fall into his soul and vanish. He has consumed them. They are gone.

He knows what he's done is wrong, but he can't help himself. He can't change, which is why he goes on to say, "Don't you come too close, oh please, I ain't no good." And that's why they call it the blues.

Anonymous said...

How does one achieve the spiritual annihilation of another?

Anthony Zuba said...

That's just a fancy way of saying that someone you once cared about is now dead to you. You haven't really annihilated them, but you treat them like they don't exist. And in a way, when you do that another person, you do stifle her spirit and kill her soul. It's not a practice worth learning!

New song coming in a few moments....