Monday, February 9, 2009

Go to the Mirror

... he is like a man who looks at his own face in a mirror. He sees himself, then goes off and promptly forgets what he looked like.
James 1:23-24


Go to the mirror. See who I want you to be.

Linger here a while. Look with new eyes. Look with my eyes.

Do not stare. Do not glare. Do not pore, and do not adore. Go to the mirror.

Look not with your pride. Look there with my pride.

Look with me. Take a look at yourself. Take a good look at yourself.

Do you see what I see?

I see what is mine. You have never seen yourself as anything but yours.

You are not your own. You belong. Have you ever looked at yourself as if you belonged?

Until you do, you are not really you.

Until this moment, you have looked at what you are. Now look at who you are.

See who I want you to be.

You will be who you will be because I am who am.

Remember who you see. For you must love the one you see. You do not have to like; to like is far too cheap a sentiment. But you must love.

Go to the mirror. Look at yourself with love. Look at yourself as if you believed you were loved.

Look at yourself and believe that I believe.

Go to the mirror. Linger a moment there.

You see yourself, and you will see me there.


I will proclaim the decree of the LORD, who said to me, "You are my son; today I am your father."
Psalms 2:7

No comments: